Pages

Wednesday 19 July 2017

Shade, the Changing Girl, Volume 1: Earth Girl Made Easy Review (Cecil Castellucci, Marley Zarcone)


I like to move it, move it, move it, I like to… movie it, provie it, shooo… sorry, I think my brain’s broken from too many crappy comics lately! Oh up yours Young Animal. Thank Jeebus this is the last one of these I’ve gotta endure! 

Shade, the Changing Man is reimagined as Shade, the Changing Girl because I guess the character changes? Ahhhhh you spin me right round baby right round like a record... Come on, dude, keep it together, it’s almost over… have another drink. 

I’ve never read any of the previous incarnations so I can’t compare or even know if this is similar in approach but this Shade is an alien called Loma inhabiting a teen girl’s body for a contrived reason. Loma must find out why everyone thinks she’s a bitch - not that anything’s at stake, she’s just gotta do something to fill the pages. Yup, real edge of your seat reading!

I wasn’t sucked into what little story there was. We know that Megan, the Earth girl host, was a mean girl before Loma inhabited her, so we have to wait tediously for Loma to figure out what we know from the start. No explanation either for how possession works - is Megan’s, uh, “spirit” killed when Loma jumps in or what? It appears at the end but where was it up til then? Ah, I didn’t really care anyway. 

Loma leaving her home planet to come to Earth was a flimsy excuse that added to the pointlessness of this comic. And the stuff on Loma’s home planet was equally unimaginative. Basically aliens have the same culture as we do on Earth (even vaping!) but they’re alien-looking. The art is nothing special but Kelly Fitzpatrick’s colours are trippy and cool. 

Shade, the Changing Girl is boring garbage. I highly recommend avoiding any books with the Young Animal label!

1 comment:

  1. Try reading the first arc of "Shade, the changing man" by Peter Milligan. It's worth the (acid) trip.

    ReplyDelete