Pages

Friday 19 September 2014

Supreme: Blue Rose #3 Review (Warren Ellis, Tula Lotay)


So there’s this really long road through space, right? It took 12,000 years to complete and has a giant statue of Ethan Crane aka Supreme at the end of it. Ethan’s missing and though this series is called Supreme and you’d expect the superhero character to show, we’re still with Diana Dane, aka some woman, who’s investigating a plane crash on behalf of an eccentric billionaire called Darius Dax. Oh and she’s in a limo on the space road but it’s definitely not a dream even though she’s probably asleep. And it’s definitely nothing to do with her mental illness/meds. 

Darius goes to this strange bar to talk with the mysterious red-headed woman (from the cover of #2) and they talk about… stuff? Diana “wakes up” in Littlehaven, sees some ghosts, or maybe echoes from another dimension in her hotel room, and, just outside the town, she meets an elderly astronaut who asks for directions to the secret headquarters. 

I’d say I’ve lost my grip on this series but I never had one to start with - it’s been a constant freefall for three issues! 

I have no idea where to start or what to say about this issue. I think Darius is sending Diana on a wild goose chase to look for something he’s set up, but he really wants her to find Supreme, who’s gone missing. But why, I don’t know. Who the red-headed woman or the elderly astronaut are, I don’t know either. 

The whole series concept seems to revolve around communication and fantastical hidden parts of reality trying to break through to our dimension… or something? Tula Lotay’s art with the squiggly lines all over the place seem to represent the communication lines interspersed throughout the story. Also, some blue roses appear but what their significance is - besides their mention in the title - is anyone’s guess. 

But yeah, I couldn’t tell you anything much about this issue except to say it’s the artiest and/or most pretentious superhero comic I’ve ever read and arguably Warren Ellis’ most bizarre comic ever. And yet I want to keep reading to see if I can figure this out! I’m hoping it’ll pay off somehow but it could just as easily skew the other way to unsatisfying vagueness. 

Ellis’ Supreme: Blue Rose is the weirdest superhero comic of 2014 - and this is in the same year as the publication of Grant Morrison’s Multiversity!

Supreme: Blue Rose #3

No comments:

Post a Comment