Pages

Thursday 11 September 2014

She-Hulk #8 Review (Charles Soule, Javier Pulido)


Charles Soule’s She-Hulk has had a good balance between the lawyering and the superhero-ing so far; with #8 though, it’s very lawyer-heavy. It reads a bit like if John Grisham were to write a Marvel comic (please, no)! 

Captain America is now old - I don’t know why, I don’t read his comics because they’re written by Rick Remender - but he’s an old dude for some reason. He’s also being sued by someone for wrongful death that occurred during wartime in 1940. So Cap’s hired Jen to represent him and they fly off to California for the case - but guess who’s the opposing lawyer who’s also in California right now? Well, I won’t spoil it here, but you can probably guess - not exactly an infinite number of lawyer superhero characters at Marvel, eh? 

I don’t dislike courtroom/legal dramas which is partly why I’ve enjoyed She-Hulk so far, but when the comic becomes all courtroom stuff without the other aspects to balance it out? Eh… I don’t love it. I liked this comic but considering Javier Pulido and Muntsa Vicente are on art duties, I’d expect to love this comic and I don’t - though it’s got nothing to do with the art team! 

It is a really gorgeous-looking comic though. The Stark plane they fly to California on is wonderfully designed in a retro style - there’s even a Rosie the Robot-type stewardess! - but there are fewer brilliantly conceived panels/pages than Pulido normally puts into his comics. 

It’s still a great comic and a less-than-brilliant issue of She-Hulk is still better than the best comics of other titles (Captain America for one - sorry, I really hate what Remender’s done with that series!). She-Hulk #8 is a lot of fun, especially if you enjoy the lawyerly side of the character.

She-Hulk #8

No comments:

Post a Comment