Pages

Monday 3 April 2017

Silver Surfer, Volume 4: Citizen of Earth Review (Dan Slott, Mike Allred)


Oh lordy I yawned a lot during this one! Silver Surfer/Norrin Radd’s people of Zenn-La try to remake Earth in their supposedly superior image and Norrin has to decide: his people or his adopted homeworld? Ah, why even pretend this is a real conflict – he punches the Zenn-Lavians! He also has a team-up with Spidey in Frisco where they punch more terribly exciting aliens… zzz…

I used to enjoy Dan Slott and the Allreds’ Silver Surfer but four volumes is at least one volume too many it seems. Boredom is the watchword as Norrin and Dawn Greenwood peddle the same schtick they’ve been doing for four books now. “I’m the Surfer and I’m a fish out of water!” “I’m Dawn and I’m his girlfriend – boy, the Surfer’s a wacky dude, eh?” - I couldn’t muster up an ounce of enthusiasm for it this time around.

Dawn meets her long-lost mother which was ho-hum at best – Slott showing his limitations as a writer by failing to wring any emotion out of the encounter. And that crap with Spidey in Frisco – actually, the Zenn-La story too - was so Marvel-generic and pointless.

Silver Surfer is still one of Marvel’s most beautiful books thanks to Mike Allred’s illustrations and his wife Laura’s incandescent colours but it definitely feels like Dan Slott’s run out of ideas at this point. Silver Surfer, Volume 4: Citizen of Earth is unfortunately a snoozefest and easily the weakest book in the series so far. I think I’ll check back in with the Surfer when a new creative team takes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment