Pages

Tuesday 24 October 2017

I Hate Fairyland, Volume 3: Good Girl Review (Skottie Young, Jean-Francois Beaulieu)


Gertie’s still stuck in Fairyland looking for a way out. Could she finally escape if the murderous lil’ psychopath does the unthinkable: become a… Good Girl???

Like the second volume, the third I Hate Fairyland book is just ok. The “Gertie getting home” storyline is definitely feeling stale at this point and her attempts at being “good” aren’t that interesting. She goes to a fantasy con and meets her biggest fan, fights shiitake mushroom samurais, and goes up against a Jareth from Labyrinth pastiche – all very meh.

I enjoyed the origin of Larry issue though and the inspired choice to draw it in a Ren & Stimpy art style. And while most of the humour in this book failed to land (the puns about the Jareth character’s magic balls were obvious and tiresome), the joke when Larry went to Fairyland University and said “I can’t believe I’m finally going to F.U.!” and getting punched by a passing girl made me laugh.

And once again Skottie Young’s art is absolutely outstanding. It’s such a bloody beautiful comic, especially with Jean-Francois Beaulieu’s gorgeously vivid colours, that even if I wasn’t entertained with the story, I was always engaged by the visuals. The samurai issue in particular was my favourite from an art standpoint.

I Hate Fairyland, Volume 3: Good Girl isn’t the most riveting read but it has some of the highest quality art out there and if you’re a Skottie Young fan like me you’ll want to check it out for that. But, given the weak writing and story, I’m not sure if Fairyland has the legs to be an ongoing series for much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment