Pages

Friday 21 November 2014

Blecky Yuckerella Volume 1 by Johnny Ryan Review


“Hey! You got your piss in my shit!”
“Well, you got your snot in my puke!”
“Well, you got your BO all over my ear wax!”
“Somebody farted on my scabs!”

If you were offended by any of that, I apologise but I was quoting the quite wonderful Blecky Yuckerella and her pal Wedgie - and this comic is not for you! 

Blecky Yuckerella is Johnny Ryan’s weekly comic strip about kids who do funny and gross things, the main character of which is a homely looking girl with three day stubble and a love of boogers. All of the strips are four panel grids per page, all are gag stories, and more than a few genuinely made me laugh out loud (I’d say LOL but we all know that stands for Lots Of Love, right?). 

I’ll tell you a few of the things I loved and it’ll give you an idea of whether or not you want to give this book a shot: Ass Hair Month; Insanio, the retarded serial killer sex maniac; BB Abortion, the most awesome fetus in town; Cinnamon Pockets, a man who has pockets full of problem-solving cinnamon; fishing with your bum; Unitard, the last retarded unicorn; crapping yourself out of a well; a drunk dinosaur; and Blecky’s superhero persona, Unknown Jerk, who appears when Blecky sees someone who’s having a crap day and makes it crappier by hitting them with a plank of wood! 

They’re meant to be very offensive jokes but damn are they funny! The one about the President wiretapping dumb peoples’ phones so he’ll know all the dumb peoples’ phone secrets made me shoot milk out my nose, and I wasn’t even drinking milk… 

I loved Blecky’s classmate K K Kevin had Lynchables for lunch - and that he and his entire family were killed because they were racist jerks and everyone hated them! The Booger Shack sketch was hilarious, banana cancer, chocolate bukkakes - this comic’s full of brilliant stuff! 

This is a comic that literally farts in the face of intellectualism, as Charles Dickens travels to the future to fart on Blecky. One strip has the characters seeing who’s the stupidest by yelling DUH! the loudest. But the comics are really good and nobody actually stupid could’ve made this book so good - Johnny Ryan is nothing if not militantly modest about his abilities! 

Blecky Yuckerella is a comic that actually lives up to comics’ history as “funny pages” by being hysterical - unlike most all other gag strips, especially the ones from yesteryear. I can’t remember the last time I laughed so much reading a comic but it was probably during Johnny Ryan’s other great comic, Prison Pit, which is also worth checking out (it’s basically what a comic would look like if it was made by Snake Plissken). 

If you have a filthy sense of humour and want a fun comic that will definitely make you laugh more than a few times, look no further than Blecky Yuckerella. The playground hasn’t been the same since the stripper pole broke.

Blecky Yuckerella

No comments:

Post a Comment