Pages

Thursday 7 May 2020

Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby by Matthew Inman, The Oatmeal Review


Matthew Inman’s latest is a kind of follow-up to his brilliant book, How to Tell If Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You, where he “amusingly” explains why he thinks cats are more impressive than babies – it’s also my least favourite of his books so far.

He’s basically got one joke for babies (or “goblins” as he calls them): they shit and puke a lot and are vulnerable to everything. Har… har. If you didn’t laugh at that one, he repeats it numerous times throughout and it never gets funnier. And speaking of repetitive jokes, his take on cats is that they’re cunning little furry assassins. Hmm. Ok.

Unsurprisingly, he hasn’t got enough material for an entire book so ends up utilising what reads like leftovers from his dog book, My Dog: The Paradox, which, if they are leftovers, I can see why they got cut! There are also some random pages on relationships and being an introvert that were equally meh. It really is like reading a book of disjointed, unfunny memes.

Some of the bits made me laugh, like the homicide pigeon quizzing a cat wearing a pigeon’s head, or the cat saying, while you love them completely, they live with the neighbours while you’re at work. Also, I never thought about it before but it’s true that cats weirdly stop eating when they see part of the bottom of the dish and won’t keep going until you cover it up!

It’s a lot less great stuff though than I’m used to with Matthew Inman. Why My Cat is More Impressive Than Your Baby is an unimpressive read – if you’ve not already read it, I recommend How to Tell If Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment