Pages

Friday 29 May 2020

Justice League Odyssey, Volume 1: The Ghost Sector Review (Joshua Williamson, Stjepan Šejić)


Unsurprisingly for a spinoff to the abysmal Dark Nights: Metal event, Justice League Odyssey is utter drek!

Nobody’s favourite characters - Cyborg, Starfire, Azrael and Jessica Cruz Green Lantern - assemble in the Ghost Sector, a collection of newly-released worlds from Brainiac’s collection because a mysterious voice called them. But - whaaa - each are worshipped as gods on these planets?! And wha Darkseid doing here - wasn’t he a ba-ba a hot minute ago?

Darkseid is the reason I checked this one out as I wanted to see what the dude’s up to these days. Considering how popular Thanos has become these past couple years, it’s amazing that DC haven’t pushed Darkseid - the character Thanos was derived from - more into the spotlight, say, with his own series. I’m not sure how Darkseid went from being a baby to becoming full-grown again (and I don’t care - the answer’s likely bullshit anyway!) but I like his new look and I hope to see him in more books. But I also hope a more talented writer than Joshua Williamson writes him so that he’s more than just the generic baddie he is here.

Stjepan Sejic’s art is the only positive about this book - gorgeous as always, Stjepan - so it’s a shame he only draws the first couple issues before handing off to Philippe Briones and Carmine di Giandomenico. Not that their art is terrible but it’s nowhere near as beguiling.

Williamson’s story is so uninteresting I was forgetting it as I was reading it. I don’t like the characters or the arbitrary way they’re flung together, I don’t care about whatever they’re doing, this new character Rapture seems one-dimensional and contrived - the writing in this just sucks all the way through.

Utterly boring, thoroughly disposable and pointless, Justice League Odyssey is yet another ultra-pants Justice League title.

No comments:

Post a Comment