Pages

Wednesday 15 April 2020

Astonishing X-Men, Volume 7: Monstrous Review (Daniel Way, Jason Pearson)


So, as much as it might seem like I read, I actually read even more that I don’t bother to rate/review! Why not? Well, I’m conscious that a lot of what I post, while all 100% my honest opinions, tends to skew to the negative and I really don’t need to add to that with books that made zero impression on me!

However, I do keep a list of every book I read and, after finishing Astonishing X-Men, Volume 7: Monstrous, I was surprised to find that this was one of those books I’d read but never bothered rating/reviewing (I think I originally read it on MU and this was a liberry book).

Well - not THAT surprised as it is a truly unmemorable book and I can see why I just shrugged when I finished it the first time and moved on! Still, I think I’ll rate/review it this time around so future me doesn’t re-read it a third time!

Daniel Way is one of my favourite comics writers and I think he’s very underrated. However, he’s also not above putting out the occasional utterly forgettable clunker which this book evidently is!

Roxxon wants to drill for oil beneath Monster Island except Mentallo is holding them to ransom by mind-controlling the island’s monsters and interrupting their work. Elsewhere, Armor finds out her mother and brother have died in a car accident so she travels home to Tokyo for the funeral with Wolverine, Cyclops and Emma Frost in tow. Fin Fang Foom disrupts things momentarily, the gang go to Monster Island, etc.

Way’s writing and storytelling is as slick and smooth as it usually is but the story itself is just so unremarkable it’s no wonder I didn’t remember it. I didn’t like Jason Pearson’s art, even with some Sara Pichelli pages thrown in, and Nick Bradshaw’s art looked much worse than his later work on Jason Aaron’s Wolverine and the X-Men.

No dice - even for Daniel Way/X-Men fans, Monstrous is astonishingly bland reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment