Pages

Monday 23 March 2020

Three Types of Solitude by Brian Aldiss Review


I don’t feel at all strongly about any of Brian Aldiss’ stories in Three Types of Solitude but I can appreciate the artistic skill that’s so self-evident in them, as well as aspects of the tales.

Happiness in Reverse is a letter by a judge to his estranged wife about a case he’s presiding over. A man has somehow created new life in the form of a wooden puppet that’s bred asexually and is now taking over the planet. You could read it literally - Aldiss is predominantly known as a sci-fi writer - but I think it’s a clever, sweet and imaginative way of the judge telling his wife that he wants her back, he’s sorry he took her for granted, etc. rather than simply coming right out and saying so.

A Single-Minded Artist is about a rich’n’famous artist who finds fulfilment and purpose in a small town with a wife, painting the same thing over and over. I guess it’s ok - happiness in simplicity - but, eh, didn’t do much for me.

Talking Cubes is the most overtly sci-fi story of the bunch which is surprising as I expected them all to be like this. Two old, former lovers, meet up after a vague conflict - they were on opposite sides of the war - to remember their long-finished affair. I loved the haunting imagery of these two old people sitting alongside their holographic younger selves professing their love for one another - it’s very romantic.

I can’t say any of the stories blew my hair back, nor did they impress me enough to want to read more of Brian Aldiss’ fiction, but it wouldn’t be accurate to say they were bad stories either. Three Types of Solitude is a decent collection of well-crafted, albeit unmemorable, short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment