Pages

Sunday 5 November 2023

Transformers #1 by Daniel Warren Johnson Review


A couple of stargazing-loving kids witness a spaceship crash-land into the side of a mountain. Inside? Buncha “dead” robots! What the Shia LaBeef’s going on?!


Image/Skybound picked up the Transformers licence from IDW and this is the first comic in their new line (there was a Transformer cameo in Void Rivals #1 but one scene doesn’t make that a “secret” Transformers comic). So how was Transformers #1? Not great - didn’t transform my feelings about these talking toys.

Like most kids, I had some Transformers toys and I probably saw snippets of one of the cartoons, but I was never a huge fan so I don’t have a whole lot of nostalgia for the brand. Still, I heard a lot of praise about the IDW Transformers comics so I tried James Roberts’ More Than Meets the Eye, Volume 1 and… yikes. The less said about that failed experiment the better!

Still, Daniel Warren Johson’s take is more accessible than Roberts’. I recognised a couple of the more famous bots (OPTIMUUUUUUSSSS!) and they do indeed transform from robots into trucks and planes. Johnson works in his love of wrestling by having Optimus introduced by clotheslining a robot and then suplexing it! The art is fine - they sure do look like giant robots.

What Transformers still seems to come down to though is “good” robots fightin’ “bad” robots and that’s not interesting enough for me. Perhaps a more compelling storyline will emerge over the course of the series but, going by my experiences with Johnson’s previous books, I highly doubt that - I think it’ll end up being a slightly less stupid comics version of the Michael Bay movies. It may have switched publishers and creative teams but one thing hasn’t changed: Transformers still isn’t for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment