Pages

Thursday 6 February 2020

Alone by Christophe Chabouté Review


Christophe Chaboute’s Alone is kind of a modern-day fairytale where a deformed man with the unlikely name of Alone lives - yes, alone! - in a lighthouse - and he’s lonely cos he’s alone…

… am I missing something here - is that it? Yes it is. Wow. It looks like an imposing book but it’s mostly silent so you can breeze through it in no time. The art is very accomplished and some of the visuals are amusing. He spends his days reading random dictionary entries then tries visualising them and they’re odd-looking as he has no experience of the outside world.

I wish there was more substance here though - “having an imagination is good” is not enough for an entire book! Barely anything happens and then it’s over. Alone left almost no impression on me. I has more substance on the underside of my gross bin’s lid!

No comments:

Post a Comment