Pages

Wednesday 6 March 2019

Supergirl, Volume 5: Red Daughter of Krypton Review (Tony Bedard, Yildiray Cinar)


I’m really not sure what I was thinking with this one. I kinda like the Red Lanterns – the comically-angsty version of the Green Lantern Corps – and Tony Bedard’s not that bad a writer… yeah, I was wrong. Supergirl, Volume 5: Red Daughter of Krypton is terrible! 

Supergirl pointlessly fights Abercrombie and Fitch Lobo, then becomes a Red Lantern because Contrived Plot! Her better escapades as a Red Lantern are covered in Charles Soule’s Red Lanterns run, but here she continues to pointlessly fight a series of nobodies like some totally not Chitauri-from-Marvel called the Diasporans and a sentient Krypton armour. Uh huh. Are we meant to care about any of this? 

The “story”, such as it is, is all over the shop and never rises above boring. Nothing memorable happens, just the usual superhero dross of dumb fights, worse soap opera shenanigans and the ever increasingly sense of hopeless dread that comes with reading utter shite. I didn’t see red because my eyelids kept closing. Don’t bother with this one, anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment