Pages

Thursday 7 March 2019

B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know, Volume 2: Pandemonium Review (Mike Mignola, Scott Allie)


I have a bad habit of requesting galleys I’m not really that interested in purely because they’s freeeeeeeeeeee! Though I used to be a huge fan of all things Mignolaverse so I saw this and, even though BPRD hasn’t been good in years, my old self made me go for it because why not? It’s freeeeeeeeeeeee! And look, Hellboy’s back for no reason! Oh, you stupid man… 

So consider this my farewell to all comics Hellboy-related. BPRD: The Devil You Know, Volume 2: Pandemonium is 100% fan service. The old band’s back together: Hellboy, Abe Sapien, Liz Sherman, even Manning and Roger put in appearances! Why? Because fan service/nostalgia! Isn’t Hellboy dead? Yup – don’t expect any explanations beyond fan service/nostalgia! 

And because Mike Mignola/Dark Horse are out of ideas. What makes me think that? Everything about this storyline. Newly reassembled BPRD gotta punch newly assembled bad guys – demons, monsters, hell, whatever - who want to take over the world zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…. I’d hoped Varvara, the creepy little Russian girl, had a better motivation than the stereotypical bad guy plan to “take over the world mwahaha”, particularly given the years she’s appeared in the background of these books, waiting for her chance to pounce; but no, she just wants to take over the world mwhahaha. Unengaging crap doesn’t begin to describe the uninspired material.

Most of the original BPRD/Hellboy books are fantastic and are well worth a read. This latter day stuff is the palest of the pale imitations – don’t bother. I mean, who could find this repetitive, formulaic, unimaginative and downright boring rubbish interesting?! 

(Stares at other glowing fanboy reviews) 

I’ll get me coat… 

No comments:

Post a Comment