Pages

Friday 1 February 2019

Violenzia and Other Deadly Amusements by Richard Sala Review


Richard Salad (I know his surname’s “Sala” but autocorrect changed it to “salad” and it made me laugh so I’m keeping it in!) makes macabre, spooky comics but this time he mixes in some cheesy action with his Violenzia stories. 

The titular heroine is an unstoppable chick with guns who rarely speaks and effortlessly shoots the baddies, be they cultists, cartoon hillbillies, US Senators, etc. - she’s never harmed so there’s never any tension, the stories are tediously schlocky and instantly forgettable and unoriginal. She just shoots people!! Neither Violenzia or Violenzia Returns were remotely interesting. 

In Forgotten, there’s a somewhat compelling Kafkaesque horror story buried amidst a lot of discontented rambling on modern life that’s never realised, though the ending is unusual and mysterious. 

And that’s it for the comics in this book - just three short stories! The rest is made up of cool horror-themed pin-ups. And that’s what I like about the Salad man: his unique art style which goes some way to making up for the crummy writing. The cultist’s moon mask was a clever design and I love the highly stylized font of the writing. 

Even if you’re a Salad fan like me I’m not sure Violenzia and Other Deadly Amusements is worth a look as it’s unfortunately a very dreary and unentertaining read. Maybe if I dipped it in some blue cheese dressing?

No comments:

Post a Comment