Pages

Wednesday 30 January 2019

Inside Moebius, Volume 1 by Moebius Review


Legendary French cartoonist Jean “Moebius” Giraud indulges in some extended naval gazing with Inside Moebius, Part 1 (of 6!). While I appreciate his artistic skill and influence on many comics creators, I’m not a big Moebius fan, haven’t read much of his work and what little I have hasn’t blown my hair back. Ditto Inside Moebius which I found very tedious. 

Moebius draws himself into a comic alongside his (apparently) famous characters like Blueberry the Cowboy and real-life people like Osama Bin Laden (this first part was produced shortly after 9/11) and Geronimo. There’s no story. Moebius gives up weed and draws himself flying when he’s not procrastinating over his work. Meanwhile, the other characters sit around some place called Desert B and witter on about pseudo-philosophical drivel that was utterly boring – the dialogues between Osama and Geronimo were especially mind-numbing. 

Maybe it’s just Moebius having a bit of fourth wall-breaking fun, maybe there’s a deeper point I didn’t get, but I found this book to be masturbatory twaddle that’s not nearly as clever or amusing as it thinks it is and so self-absorbed as to be wholly uninsightful and pointless. 

I still liked his art, even as loose as it is here, and I agree with his points on Islam - that repressed sexuality has a lot to do with its problems - but this one is for Moebius fanboys only. What’s inside Moebius? A load of dreary neuroses and meandering thoughts like most people - I’ll definitely not be bothering with the rest of the books in this dull series!

No comments:

Post a Comment