Pages

Friday 18 January 2019

George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl Review


I don’t remember much about George’s Marvellous Medicine from when I read it as a kid except that I didn’t love it. So I was curious to find out exactly why I thought that and whether the book might be better now that I’m older and (barely) wiser.

Well: I think George’s Marvellous Medicine might be Roald Dahl’s worst book! 

George has a hateful grandma whom he decides to teach a lesson by mixing together various ingredients and giving it to her, pretending it’s her medicine. Something silly happens to her when she takes it. That’s it. It’s amazing Dahl was able to stretch this utterly tedious story into 100+ pages! 

Completely flat, uninteresting story (most of the book is Dahl listing unusual ingredients) filled with bland characters - no wonder I forgot this one; there’s nothing to remember! Roald Dahl’s a master storyteller but George’s Marvellous Medicine is anything but a marvellous read!

No comments:

Post a Comment