Pages

Saturday 13 April 2024

I Must Be Dreaming by Roz Chast Review


There are few things more tedious than listening to someone who begins a sentence with “I had a weird dream last night…” so imagine how unutterably dull an entire book of that drivel would be to read. Well, I must be dreaming myself because someone actually published that horrendous idea for a book and it’s by New Yorker cartoonist Roz Chast!


I wanted to give Chast the benefit of the doubt because I read her memoir of her parents Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant? and loved it. And I thought, naaaaah, there’s gotta be more to it than just Chast wittering on about her dreams. Oh dear. There isn’t.

She has duck feet, too many fingers, she’s back in school agin, she’s preggers but old, celebrities drop by, she sees her dead parents, she’s floating in space, she’s flying - I’m boring myself just remembering what’s contained in this book. It’s all so, so, so bloody banal!

Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant? is a gem of a book so Chast is clearly a talented cartoonist but I Must Be Dreaming is the polar opposite - a nightmarish bore to get through that’ll put you to sleep if not annoy you into a coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment