Pages

Wednesday 21 February 2024

Kommix by Charles Burns Review


Woohoo, new Charles Burns book! Oh… it’s just a series of covers. For comics that don’t exist. Hmm.


Kommix contains a number of covers featuring Doug, his Tintin proxy from the Last Look trilogy, hinting at possible adventures he went on after that series wrapped. I’d actually be ok with Burns going back to that character/world and doing more comics - thems was a fun read.

Most of the other covers are subversive homages to (why not?) teen romance comics from the 1950s and ‘60s. The imagery is a mixture of trippy, grotesque, humorous, and surreal, and the art throughout looks great - Burns has only gotten better as an artist over the years. I also liked the made-up kanji-type letters he puts on some of the covers in lieu of actual language - tres creative.

But it’s still just an art book and I think I speak for most Burns fans when I say a full length narrative comic would’ve been preferred. Kommix will only appeal to collectors and/or fans of Burns’ art rather than most of his audience, including myself. The book is pretty to look at but offers up little else.

No comments:

Post a Comment