Pages

Friday 26 March 2021

Juggernaut: No Stopping Now Review (Fabian Nicieza, Ron Garney)


Like everybody else, I’m not a Juggernaut fan, but I heard that Fabian Nicieza was doing to Juggs what Matt Fraction did for Hawkeye. Could that even be possible? Nope and he didn’t! I’ve never read a standalone Juggy book before but I imagine this is as bad as any of the previous ones (if they exist) have been.


Juggernaut’s working for Damage Control trying to be helpful for some reason that’s probably the result of some garbage recent event (these unusual limited serieses are often the ripple effects of those storylines). He’s done serving madmen and gods - every choice from now on is going to be his! Except for serving some mutant girl he randomly comes across. Adventures ensue until they don’t. Please stop him now, I’m having such a bad time, I’m having a yawn… (with apologies to Queen for the last part).

The new mutant character has a turrible name - D-Cel (so she’s a battery?) - and meets Juggs for a second but he decides to become involved in her life for no reason. She also apparently has a hit YouTube channel (“Roxtube” in the MU) and wants to make videos of him doing things like fighting Hulk - and he just goes along with it for no reason!! It’s such a flimsy storyline.

He goes to court for stoopid reasons, then fights Arnim Zola for more stoopid reasons - it’s not a good story at all. We also find out where he got his swanky new armour from even though it was unnecessary and didn’t really add anything. All it really showed me was how little I knew about the character before - his powers apparently come from a god called Cyttorak or something? Eh, whatevs.

I wasn’t that crazy about Ron Garney’s art before but it looks pretty damn good here. Quicksand looks amazing, as does Cyttorak, and the new armour does look fantastic - that splash page transformation when Juggs puts it on for the first time is really great.

I didn’t hate Juggernaut: No Stopping Now I just didn’t find it very interesting and not memorable in the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment