Pages

Saturday 30 November 2019

The Bastard by Patrick DeWitt Review


What’s this – Patrick DeWitty-Man wrote a story about yours truly?! It’s ok guys, you can protect your sides – they won’t split as I can’t keep up this pace (DAT’S WOT SHE SEZ..>!#!) – but looks: a short story about a bastard called The Bastard. Where do writers get their ideas eh?

The Bastard waltzes into small town America in the days when horses was cars and preys on a young and pretty farmer’s daughter. But what’s he really up to, see?

It’s an amusing lil yarn that chuntles along nicely – DeWitt’s writing is as slick and effortlessly easy to read as always – and I like a good bad boy (oh the juxtapwhajamacalit!). I did hope for a more inventive ending though. You see what’s what a mile off and it’s a bit underwhelming that the Bastard and his motivations didn’t turn out to be more interesting given the quality build-up.

I also like that the editor’s intro mentions that they’re giving this story away for free but the only place it’s available is on Amazon for monies (unless you pirate it)! I understand, editor man, the filthy lucre stains us all…

I love Patrick DeWitt’s books and, if like me you can’t wait for French Exit later this summer, The Bastard will suffice to tide you over until we can all nerdy out over that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment